Senior Software Developer - Fan Team
Location: Edinburgh. Remote candidates are considered but there is preference for those that are able to come to the office 1-2 days a week. Salary: £65k-£75k DoE
Recast is a subscription-free, live and on-demand streaming platform which gives Fans easy and affordable access to the sports and entertainment they love and pays Publishers for every single view, with up to 85% of all income generated going to them directly.
The team at Recast are Driven, Resilient and Transparent. If these values resonate with you then keep reading!
Our management team has a wealth of experience - our CTO Chris Stafford was the Technical Co-Founder of FanDuel, our COO Colin McCleod has previous leadership roles at Disney and Fox in the UK, and NBC across the EMEA region, and our CEO, Andy Meikle previously founded and led the popular sports site Sportlobster.
Launched onto the market in 2021 and currently in beta, Recast is headquartered in Edinburgh with a staff of over 50, and has raised £15m investment to date.
For the right candidate this is a great opportunity to play a significant part from our early stages, to hone your talents on some big challenges, learn and contribute to the growth of the company.
About the Role
Recast’s Fan team owns the public facing mobile-first PWA used to get our Publisher’s content to their fans. You’ll be joining the team at a time when our user base is scaling rapidly and will be solving the substantial technical challenges that come with exponential usage growth.
Our teams operate on a “you build it, you run it” basis and are given the trust and autonomy to do what's best for the product, from inception to operation in production.
As a senior technical member of the team, you’ll have a strong voice in how the team operates and on the technical approaches used. As such, you should be excited about getting involved in all aspects of the software development life-cycle - we want you to own what you do, not just finish the code and throw it over the wall. You'll be working closely with other members of the development team as well as collaborating with Product and Design.
Some of the team’s recent work:
- Designing and implementing a data structure that allows hierarchical content classification of millions of videos
- The refactor of a search implementation to enable performant search results when searching across millions of entries
- Implementing a new API with consistent standards, which provides a more coherent view of our video listings and data, while allowing better caching and easier use by clients
Your Skills & Experience
If you are missing some of the skills or knowledge listed, but you believe you can bring a unique skill set to the role, please apply. Tell us where you are strong and where you might need help or time to learn.
We have a complex web application written in React to operate as a full PWA. This handles delivery of high-quality live and recorded video streams to users, and operates as a marketplace, to allow micropayments for watching video content. Providing app-quality services to users and handling uploads of large videos requires a range of recent web APIs and features. To work in this area you will need experience:
- Cultivating pragmatic engineering decision-making and driving quality at a team level, not just individually
- Providing technical mentorship and guidance in a team environment, including giving and receiving code reviews and collaborating to build larger features
- Developing web applications using Typescript and modern web frameworks (ideally React/Redux)
- Building complex user interfaces at scale using the latest web standards
- Sharing knowledge and communicating ideas to a range of stakeholders
Our API is written in a mix of Typescript and PHP, although we are moving all new development into Typescript services. Actual delivery of video and infrastructure services are provided by AWS. We would welcome experience of:
- API design, and integration of docker-based microservices
- API development in Node using Typescript, and the Express or Koa platforms
- Experience of integration with Amazon services
- Deploying services on Kubernetes
- Building for set-top devices.
- Experience of working with a transactional website
- Working with real money payments
- Working with video uploads, and real-time delivery of broadcast-quality video
- Full-time contract
- £65k-£75k DoE
- Unlimited holiday allowance
- £500 annual training budget
- Life Insurance
- 30 minute initial interview with Head of Development
- 120 minute interview comprising
- 60 minute technical scenario with Chief Architect and a Senior Developer
- 60 minute discussion around your previous experience and time for you to ask any questions with Head of Development and Chief Architect
- 15 minute interview with CTO/People Director
NO RECRUITMENT AGENTS PLEASE
We don’t use any automated filtering systems - all applications will be reviewed by a member of the hiring team. We welcome covering letters if there is anything you would like to expand upon.
Unfortunately, we are unable to respond to everyone with individual feedback. We aim to review applications and interview promising candidates quickly, and will generally get back to you within 1-2 weeks if we plan to progress your application.
We are committed to eliminating discrimination and have a commitment to diversity, equality and inclusion in the workplace. All applications are treated with the utmost respect and are reviewed without bias towards gender, race, religious preference or disability.