Software Engineering Manager
Location: Edinburgh. Remote candidates are considered but there is preference for those that are able to come to the office 1-2 days a week.
Salary: £70k-£90k DoE
Recast is a subscription-free, live and on-demand streaming platform which gives Fans easy and affordable access to the sports and entertainment they love and pays Publishers for every single view, with up to 85% of all income generated going to them directly.
The team at Recast are Driven, Resilient and Transparent. If these values resonate with you then keep reading!
Our management team has a wealth of experience - our CTO Chris Stafford was the Technical Co-Founder of FanDuel, our COO Colin McCleod has previous leadership roles at Disney and Fox in the UK, and NBC across the EMEA region, and our CEO, Andy Meikle previously founded and led the popular sports site Sportlobster.
Launched onto the market in 2021 and currently in beta, Recast is headquartered in Edinburgh with a staff of over 50, and has raised £15m investment to date.
For the right candidate this is a great opportunity to play a significant part from our early stages, to hone your talents on some big challenges, learn and contribute to the growth of the company.
About the Role
We are looking for a Software Engineering Manager to lead the teams working on Recast’s core applications. You’ll help develop and grow a diverse mix of engineers to deliver a great user experience for our Publishers and their Fans as we rapidly scale our user base. In addition to working closely with your engineers, you’ll collaborate with your product and design counterparts, as well as fellow senior technical leadership colleagues.
As a Recast engineering manager, your primary responsibility is supporting the people on your teams to ensure that they are growing as engineers, doing valuable work and generally enjoying their life at Recast. You’ll be leading the delivery of the team and so should be passionate about enabling productive and sustainable ways-of-working, focusing on the most important things, and providing long term business value.
You’ll be leading strong engineers and it’s important you have a solid background in software development so that you’re able to challenge and grow your team members.
Your Skills & Experience
- Line management experience of at least one team of Software Engineers operating at scale in a cloud environment
- Prior experience as a Software Engineer using Agile methodologies (Scrum, Kanban) and practices (TDD, pair programming, code reviews, CI/CD, automation, etc.)
- Enabled teams and peers to make data-led decisions
- Developed people via goal setting, career plans and creating an environment of continual improvement
- Extensive hiring experience
- Supported software in production in a 24/7 environment
- Cultivated relationships and wield influence with their team, peers, stakeholders and senior leadership
- Tenacity and the ability to balance competing priorities across multiple cross-functional stakeholders and programs
- Experience writing TypeScript or React.js in production systems
- Hands-on experience building and scaling services using Amazon Web Services
- Full-time contract
- £70k-£90k DoE
- Unlimited holiday allowance
- £500 annual training budget
- Life Insurance
- 30 minute initial interview with Head of Development
- 120 minute interview comprising
- 60 minute technical scenario with Chief Architect and a Senior Developer
- 60 minute discussion around your previous experience and time for you to ask any questions with Head of Development and Chief Architect
- 15 minute interview with CTO/People Director
NO RECRUITMENT AGENTS PLEASE
We don’t use any automated filtering systems - all applications will be reviewed by a member of the hiring team. We welcome covering letters if there is anything you would like to expand upon.
Unfortunately, we are unable to respond to everyone with individual feedback. We aim to review applications and interview promising candidates quickly, and will generally get back to you within 1-2 weeks if we plan to progress your application.
We are committed to eliminating discrimination and have a commitment to diversity, equality and inclusion in the workplace. All applications are treated with the utmost respect and are reviewed without bias towards gender, race, religious preference or disability.