Front End/Full Stack Developer
Recast is a direct-to-customer social video platform with big plans to revolutionise the sports broadcasting landscape. Our first goal is to bring the sports and Esports that fans love directly to them, with no monthly subscription. Not only that, they'll earn for watching, sharing and creating content on Recast.
Recast will make it easier for fans to find the content they enjoy and will give personalised access to live streams, official highlights, and the best fan-generated content, whilst creating and sharing content with the community.
You’re an experienced Software Developer, able to manage your own time and work effectively in a fast-paced development environment. You will be joining a growing development with a wealth of experience. We are open to applications from anybody with at least a year or so of experience, as long as you can demonstrate that you have a reasonable level of knowledge and ability in the areas listed below.
You’ll be joining a fast-paced, good-natured team at the early stage of building something amazing. Our management team has a wealth of experience and we’ve secured significant funding. For the right person this is a great opportunity to get in early doors, hone your talents on some big challenges, and learn and grow with the company.
What you will be doing
You will be joining this group to:
- Help the product team and technical management to plan new features
- Develop the new services and features, and appropriate tests
- Work with QA and ops colleagues to get the features live and support them
What skills you will need
If you are missing some of the skills or knowledge listed, but you are generally a good fit, please apply anyway. Tell us where you are strong and where you might need help or time to learn.
We have a complex web application written in React to operate as a full PWA. This handles delivery of high-quality live and recorded video streams to users, and operates as a marketplace, to allow micro-payments for watching the videos. Providing app-quality services to users, and to handling uploads of large videos requires a range of recent web APIs and features.
To work in this area you will need:
- Significant experience of developing web applications using Typescript and modern web frameworks (ideally React/Redux)
- Experience working working in a team environment, including giving and receiving code reviews and collaborating to build larger features
- Understanding of continuous integration and deployment techniques
Our API is written in a mix of Typescript and PHP, although we are moving all new development into Typescript services. Actual delivery of video and infrastructure services are provided by AWS.
We would welcome experience of:
- API design, and integration of docker-based microservices
- API development in Node using Typescript, and the Express or Koa platforms
- Experience of integration with Amazon services
- Deploying services on Kubernetes (with help from our infrastructure team)
Other skills and experience which would be useful include:
- Building for set-top devices
- Experience of working with a transactional website
- Working with real money payments
- Working with video uploads, and real-time delivery of broadcast-quality video
The team is spread across the UK and Poland, but all team communications and documentation are in English, so you will need to speak and write English to a professional standard. You will need to communicate effectively within the technical team and across the wider business
This is a full-time position in central Edinburgh. We are mostly remote during the current situation. Longer term we anticipate the role being office-based 2-5 days a week.
- Salary £35-60k dependent on experience
We hope that the self satisfaction you get from working with us will outweigh any side line offerings we make but we hire the best to be the best and in order to maintain your ‘mojo’ we offer the following incentives:
- Unlimited holiday
- Flexible working
- £500 annual training budget
In addition there’s the routine get-togethers and all round camaraderie you’d expect from a start-up.
How to Apply
Tell us a bit about you, why you think you are suited to the role and what you think are the key challenges to delivering a high quality web-based, mobile-first sports video app.
Prepare your CV and a cover note and apply HERE
No recruitment agents please
Due to the wealth of candidates we’re unfortunately unable to respond to everyone with individual feedback. Should you not hear from us within the next 2 weeks then we’re afraid your application has been unsuccessful.
We are committed to eliminating discrimination and have a commitment to diversity, equality and inclusion in the workplace. All applications are treated with the upmost respect and are reviewed without bias towards gender, race, religious preference or disability.