Recast is a direct-to-customer social video platform with big plans to revolutionise the sports broadcasting landscape. Our first goal is to bring the sports and Esports that fans love directly to them, with no monthly subscription. Not only that, they'll earn for watching, sharing and creating content on Recast.
Recast will make it easier for fans to find the content they enjoy and will give personalised access to live streams, official highlights, and the best fan-generated content, whilst creating and sharing content with the community.
As a Software Developer, you will be able to manage your own time and work effectively in a fast-paced development environment. You will be joining a rapidly growing engineering team with a wealth of experience in all the technologies we use. We are open to applications from anybody with at least a year or so of experience, as long as you can demonstrate that you have a reasonable level of knowledge and ability in the areas listed below.
You’ll be joining a good-natured, supportive team at the early stage of building something amazing. Our management team has many years of combined experience across consumer technology start-ups, and we’ve secured significant funding. For the right person this is a great opportunity to get in early, hone your talents on some big challenges, and learn and grow with the company.
What you will be doing
- Help the product team and technical management to plan new features
- Develop the new services and features, and appropriate tests
- Work with QA and ops colleagues to get the features live and support them
What skills you will need
If you are missing some of the skills or knowledge listed, but you are generally a good fit, please apply anyway. Tell us where you are strong and where you might need help or time to learn.
Our new API development is mostly Node.js-based services written in Typescript. Video and infrastructure services are provided by AWS. We also have some legacy code written in PHP, and are planning some finance services to be written in Java or Kotlin. To work in this area you will need:
- Experience of developing server-side applications or services using Typescript, Node, and a framework such as Koa or Express
- Experience of working with relational databases, and an ability to interact with them directly, without the use of entity frameworks.
- Experience working working in a team environment, including giving and receiving code reviews and collaborating to build larger features
- Understanding of continuous integration and deployment techniques
If you are applying for a senior role we would like to see:
- 3+ years of relevant experience
- Previous experience of mentoring more junior developers
- An ability to plan larger pieces of work
- A good awareness of the need for efficient code, both locally and in terms of load on the API
Other skills and experience which would be useful include:
- Experience of deploying to Kubernetes, and working in a microservices environment generally
- Experience of accessing AWS services directly from code using the API
- Experience of working with a transactional website
- Working with real money payments
- Working with video uploads, and real-time delivery of broadcast-quality video
Our main client side application is a web app written in React to operate as a full PWA. This handles delivery of high-quality live and recorded video streams to users, and operates as a marketplace, to allow micro-payments for watching the videos. Providing app-quality services to users, handling uploads of large videos, and live streaming from the app requires a range of recent web APIs and features. Please let us know if you have relevant experience and would like to be considered for a full-stack role.
All team communications and documentation are in English, so you will need to speak and write English to a professional standard in order to communicate effectively within the technical team and across the wider business
This is a full-time position in central Edinburgh. We anticipate the role being office-based for a minimum of two days a week, and aim to allow everybody to work in the office more if they prefer to.
We are hiring both at a junior level, and at senior levels
- Junior salary: £35-45k DoE
- Senior salary: £45-60k DoE
In addition to a generous salary, and the opportunity to work with a great team on interesting challenges, we offer the following incentives to help you get the most out of working with us:
- Unlimited holiday
- Flexible working
- £500 annual training budget
In addition there’s the regular get-togethers and all-round camaraderie you’d expect from a start-up.
How to Apply
Tell us a bit about you, why you think you are suited to the role and what you think are the key challenges to delivering a high quality web-based, mobile-first sports video app.
Prepare your CV and a cover note (optional) and apply HERE
We don’t use automated filtering systems - all applications will be reviewed by a member of the technical team. We welcome covering letters if there is anything you would like to expand upon.
Unfortunately we are unable to respond to everyone with individual feedback. We aim to review applications and interview promising candidates quickly, and will generally get back to you within 1-2 weeks if we plan to progress your application.
We are committed to eliminating discrimination and have a commitment to diversity, equality and inclusion in the workplace. All applications are treated with the utmost respect and are reviewed without bias towards gender, race, religious preference or disability.